Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 16: Italian Herb Skillet Bread

I like bread. A lot. When someone asks the question, "If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?" My answer is always bread. I mean, think about all the lovely things that are bread. Donuts, bagels, scones, rolls, etc. 

Nom.

I found this recipe on Pinterest.


Seeing such tasty bread things makes me want to make them immediately. I haven't had good luck with making my own bread, so I resorted to using frozen rolls and making them fancy. 

I also got to use my cast iron skillet for the first time. I bought it for super cheap a few years ago and haven't had the opportunity to use it. 

I was hoping that these would be a little more dense than what they turned out to be. It's like Olive Garden. They advertise the soup and breadsticks and salad thing and it's so exciting because, never ending bread! Then you bite into the breadstick and it's just air. That's what these were like. Airy. Good, but airy. They needed more butter too.

Italian Herb Skillet Bread
originally from the Rhodes website

7 Rhodes frozen dinner rolls
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp butter, melted
 
Spray a small iron skillet with cooking spray. Place 7 frozen rolls in the skillet, leaving plenty of room for rising. Cover and allow to rise for several hours. Uncover rolls. 
 
Combine herbs and mix with melted butter. Brush rolls with half of the melted butter and herbs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. 
 
Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until rolls are a deep golden brown on top.
 
Brush with additional butter and serve in skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment