Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Week 14: Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares

I don't really deal well with change. The same orange carpet, or rust as my mom would say, has been in my room for as long as I have been around. I like the way things are. When I do decide that something needs to change, it must change immediately or the moment will pass and it won't happen. I find that there are many things in life that we can't control, so keeping the same carpet or keeping all my pens lined up on my desk all day is a comfort. Sounds a little autistic of me (I can hear my mom saying this right now).

I eat oatmeal every day. Well, every weekday. I eat it with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans. It's delicious. However, sometimes I change it up. Moments of change, remember?

I do love me some strawberries and they were sort of cheap at the store last week, so I bought them and some bananas and threw these together. 

Also, I'm addicted to The Vampire Diaries. I'll keep watching it until one of my two favorite characters stops taking off his shirt...or he starts getting flabby. I'm shallow like that. 

Strawberry Banana Cream Baked Oatmeal Squares
serves 4-6

2 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup chopped strawberries (about 4 large berries)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray – I used a 10×7 dish, but an 8×8, 9×9, round cake pan or another size close to that will work too.

In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, mixing until combine. Measure out the cup of milk, then whisk in egg and vanilla extract. Add half and half to the milk mixture, then stir it into the dry oats. Mix in mashed banana and melted butter, then chopped strawberries, then scoop the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the top is set. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with strawberries, bananas and milk or half and half infused with vanilla extract.

Note: If served immediately, squares may not hold together perfectly. If they are left to cool, they should hold together fine and be able to be eaten with your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment