Friday, May 25, 2012

Week 21: Lasagna Cups


I made crab rangoons as an appetizer for Christmas Eve Dinner. That is when I discovered how easy wonton wrappers are to work with. I only used half a package of them in December and still had half a package left. I scoured my usual places for a recipe that would use them up and didn't involve frying anything. I had a couple of bags of open cheese and some goat cheese that I needed to use up, so I just threw it all together until I had the amount that the recipe required. It would be really easy to add whatever you wanted to these. Less cheese and more veggies? Go for it. Meat in the sauce? Yes, please. Also, don't use 6 month old wonton wrappers. Mine looked pretty shady, so I bought new ones because they're relatively cheap. 

I have a question that I've been pondering lately. It's pretty life altering. Why is it, when you cook or reheat anything with cheese on or in it, the pasta or bread or whatever stays a warm or normal temperature, but the cheese  becomes a BOILING MASS OF LAVA?! I do not understand. Can someone explain?

Lasagna Cupcakes
originally from Andy and Belle

11/2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
24 small square wonton wrappers
11/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
11/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tspn chopped basil
1 tspn chopped oregano
Spaghetti sauce (whichever your favorite is)
Preheat oven to 350ยบ

In a large bowl, mix ricotta, chopped basil, chopped oregano, salt and pepper all together and set aside.
 
Coat your muffin pan with non stick cooking spray or butter.
 
Place a wonton wrapper at the bottom of each cup.
 
Start layering by adding a small layer of ricotta mix in the 12 muffin cups, followed by the spaghetti sauce, topped with the mozzarella and cheddar cheese then covered with another wonton wrapper.
 
Repeat the process until each muffin cup is full.
 
Finish it all off with more mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
 
Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly (around 10 minutes).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment