Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mid-Review (Breakfast Apple Crisp)

It's mid-review day and the studio is humming. Half of us are going crazy, trying to get everything printed and hung by 12:30 and the other half is strolling around and we're already pinned up. Nice!

I slept for a little longer then I should have this morning and I took my sweet time getting ready. Nothing like being relaxed before your presentation. I finished off the breakfast apple crisp I made a few weeks ago. It's so delicious, and topped with a couple heaping spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, it's a really tasty breakfast.

I got the recipe from thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com again. I seriously love that blog. The crisp was supposed to be made in a 9x13 pan, but I didn't have one yet, so I made it in a pie plate. It doesn't matter what you cook it in, as long as you can eat it later.

RECIPE:
3 pounds of whatever apples you like to bake with...peeled, cored and cut into medium chunks (I just cut up a bunch of apples that I got from my grandparents tree. I filled the pie plate until it wouldn't hold anymore.)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup flour
2 cups oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix apple chunks with lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a 9x13 baking dish until apples are evenly coated.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the honey. Stir in the flour, oats, almonds, coconut and another pinch of salt until clumps form. Sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the apples are softened and bubbly. You'll want to leave it uncovered for about 15 minutes, then cover it or else the stuff on top will burn. About 5 minutes before it's done, take the foil off and let the granolay stuff get brown.

NOTE: I didn't have any lemon juice to put on the apples and everything was fine. Lemon juice is put on apples to stop enzymes from chemically reacting with air (?) and making the apples brown. Apparently no one likes to eat brown apples. I think it's useful in salads, but it doesn't really matter for covered things like pies and crisps.

When it was all done, I cut it into a bunch of pieces. Each serving was a little bigger then my fist. I put a couple of giant spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt on it and ate it. Seriously wonderful and quite filling. I even ate it for dessert a couple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment