Sunday, February 10, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Green Peppers

Sometimes I have to remember that not everyone likes all the same foods that I do. I love peas and lima beans. Matt hates them. I hate mushrooms. Matt loves them. Sometimes, I have to suck it up and put the things that I hate back into a recipe. There are plenty of recipes I have altered to get rid of things I don't like. Maybe it changes the recipe too much, maybe it doesn't. I'll never know.

When I found this recipe though, I knew that if I was sharing, I was going to have to include the mushrooms. I have never actually had a Philly Cheesesteak, but I assume that the mushrooms are important. That is how I found myself sauteeing mushrooms in butter one day last week. I took them out of the oven and they smelled delicious, but when it came time to eat the mushrooms, I couldn't do it. I can sneak the little guys in there, but a whole sliced mushroom? No way! There are delicious and definitely a way to get your fill of Cheesesteak if you're someone on a gluten-free diet. 


Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Green Peppers
originally from Quick & Easy Recipes

8 oz. Thinly Sliced Roast Beef
8 Slices Provolone Cheese
2 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Sweet Onion
6 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Garlic – Minced
Salt and Pepper – to taste



Slice peppers in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.

Slice onions and mushrooms.  Saute over medium heat with butter, olive oil, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper.  Saute until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized.  About 25-30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400*

Slice roast beef into thin strips and add to the onion/mushroom mixture.  Allow to cook 5-10 minutes

Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese. 

Fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are nearly overflowing.

Top each pepper with another slice of provolone cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment