Friday, June 22, 2012

Week 24: High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad


It's hot here in the Midwest. If you have never lived here, it's definitely an experience. Not only do we get heat, we get humidity. I know it's bad when my phone beeps in the morning to tell me what the weather is and the humidity is already at 90%. That means I'm going to leave a few minutes early so I can bike to work a little more slowly than usual. It helps that work is downhill from where I live. Going home is an entirely different story. 

When it's so hot out, I don't want to eat. That is probably the best diet, the Summer Diet. It's so hot that you don't want to eat, but coupled with the fact that turning on the stove or the oven seems like the worst idea ever, BAM! there goes 5 pounds. 

I ate popcorn and chocolate chip cookies for dinner one night this week. Another night, cold pasta. Smoothies are good too. 

this is the time of year that I just want a nice cold salad. I eat too much pasta already so I wanted something new. Maybe a rice salad with lots of veggies. What I found was quinoa. 

I have in fact made quinoa before. I bought some at least a year ago and made a savory side dish with it. I didn't like it. When I reheated it, it wasn't good. This is delicious though. It's sweet and grainy without being bread and it's really good cold a few days later. Make it when it's hot, you won't regret it.

High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad 
originall from ohsheglows.com

3/4 cup dry quinoa
1 pint strawberries, sliced (2.5-3 cups)
16 oz. fresh blueberries (1.5-2 cups)
1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup almonds, chopped

1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, chop the fruit and place in a large bowl.
3. Mix the dressing ingredients (maple syrup, balsamic, lime juice, salt) in a small jar and adjust to taste if necessary. Note: You may have to double the dressing recipe if your salad is quite large.
4. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and add to large bowl with fruit. Combine. Pour on dressing and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until serving time. Serves 2-3 as a main or 4-6 as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment