Sunday, August 22, 2010

Omnomnom (Quiche Lorraine Scones)

I love bacon. LOVE BACON.


I love bacon so much that I baked it into scones. I've been making them before we go up north cause they're good to eat in the car when you're driving and in case someone makes some not-so-tasty breakfast.

I'm not sure exactly what makes a scone, a scone. It seemed to be a shock to people that a scone could be savory. I know it's pretty unconventional, but really, THEY'RE AMAZING.

They're pretty easy, but you have to be careful how much "stuff" you put in them. When I made them the first time, I put more cheese, bacon, and onion in it then what was called for. The cheese got super oozy and the delicious flakiness of the dough wasn't quite as present as I had hoped. The last time I made them, I tried to stick to the recipe for the "stuff." They turned out pretty dry. Still delicious, but dry. I need to find the happy medium.

2 cups + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch cayenne pepper
dash nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 eggs
4 ounces Swiss cheese, diced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
7 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Prepare the bacon, onion and cheese. Toss these ingredients together with 1 teaspoon flour; set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne, nutmeg and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter is pea-size. With a fork, lightly beat the eggs and half-and-half and add to the flour mixture.
Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Pat dough to about 1/2-inch and add the bacon, onion and cheese mixture. Fold the sides of the dough on top of the bacon, etc and gently knead the dough with the other ingredients.

Pat the dough to about 3/4 to 1-inch thick and cut using 3-inch biscuit cutter (for large scones) or cut into squares or triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment